The Allegheny Intermediate Unit is currently seeking a Full-Time Every Day Special Education Teacher for its DART Early Intervention Program. This is a county-wide position and a great opportunity for long-term growth into a permanent teacher within the program. The DART program follows a stretch calendar and this position works every day the program is in session from August through August, for 190 days.
We are looking for an experienced and motivated person to join our team of professionals who make a positive difference in children’s lives every day. If you enjoy working in a fast-paced professional environment, this is the position for you. We look forward to hearing from you soon.
This is an excellent position for new graduates!
Find a home at the AIU!
Job Title: DART Every Day Substitute Special Education Teacher
Position Summary: To provide coverage to Preschool Early Intervention classrooms or itinerant caseloads, including planning and delivering specially designed instruction/consultation to eligible young children in the Preschool Early Intervention classrooms and community settings: preschool, child care, or home. To conduct screenings and in-depth evaluations for intake and in-program children.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Cover classroom and itinerant caseload and the necessary traveling throughout Allegheny County.
- Participate in developmental screenings/evaluations and document results.
- Effectively communicate the results of the screening/evaluation to parents/guardians and determine whether further evaluation is warranted.
- Schedule and complete in-depth evaluations based on the results of the screening and/or a review of available records.
- Select, administer, and interpret current standardized assessment tools for preschool-age children to accurately identify their needs. Report assessment information clearly and accurately in ERs, and follow program and state guidelines for qualifying children for services.
- Develop appropriate IEPs based on evaluation results and the needs of the child within timelines. Schedule IEP meetings and send invitations to all required participants.
- Communicate daily with DART personnel and parents via telephone, notes, emails or meetings.
- Collaborate with all personnel/consultants delivering services in order to implement the specially designed instruction to meet all goals.
- Demonstrate an understanding of early childhood curriculum and the ability to make adaptations and modifications to meet individual needs.
- Establish positive relationships with community partners by familiarizing and respecting the unique rules of each community setting.
- Valid PA certification in Special Education PK-8 or N-12 required.
- Valid PA certification in Early Childhood PK-4 preferred
- Experience working with the preschool population in Early Childhood Environments preferred
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to build trust and positive working relationships with multiple internal and external stakeholder groups.
- Ability to analyze and resolve complex issues, while remaining logical and interpersonal.
- Excellent collaboration and leadership skills.
- Ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines, and work under pressure.
- Self-motivator, independent, cooperative, flexible, creative, and responsible.
- Ability to travel throughout the County required
- Ability to comply with the AIU Conduct policy
- Current Act 114, Act 34 and Act 151 required prior to an offer (Must be dated within 1 year of hire date).
- School Personnel Health Record (Form H511.340) must be completed and received by Human Resources prior to hire date.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The information contained in this job description is for compliance with Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.
- Sitting for extended period of time
- Lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling 35 pounds
- Ability to kneel, crouch, bend and reach to retrieve and handle teaching materials and supplies
- Moving fingers and hands in a repetitive manner
- Ability to speak clearly and distinctly when communicating
- Hearing clearly
- Adequate vision to perform duties
Disclaimer: The preceding description is not designed to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities required of this position.
Reports To: Supervisor
Position Schedule: Monday-Friday, 190 days, August to August
Salary: $150.00 per day (BA or BA) or $170.00 per day (MS or MA)
Benefits: Individual Health Benefits, paid sick days, PSERS
To Apply: Create an on-line application and upload a cover letter, resume, PA Certification and transcripts at AIU Career Site.
Please send any questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Allegheny Intermediate Unit is an equal opportunity education institution and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, handicap, or limited English proficiency in its educational programs, services, facilities, activities or employment practices as required by Title IX of the 1972 Educational Amendments, Title VI and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended, Section 504 Regulations of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1975, Section 204 Regulations of the 1984 Carl D. Perkins Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, or any other applicable federal or state statute.