ITINERANT TEACHER FOR THE VISUALLY IMPAIRED/ORIENTATION & MOBILITY INSTRUCTOR (JOB ID: 9586)
Our Human Resources Team at the Greenville County School District is dedicated to advancing student achievement by recruiting and employing the highest qualified staff for our schools and to serve those with whom we work.
Greenville County Schools is a place where you can make a difference! High student achievement, collegial support, modern school facilities, all-inclusive benefits, and competitive salaries make Greenville an exciting place to live and work. Quality teaching is supported with the latest technology and cutting-edge resources. According to Fodor's Travel, 2016, "This charming little city in the shadow of the Blue Ridge mountains has turned into a dynamic destination. A 32-acre park, green spaces, free concerts, pioneering artists, baseball fervor, foodie restaurants, and one of the most adorable Main Streets in America are just part of its allure." Greenville County Schools can be your place to Influence, Imagine, and Inspire!
Job Title: Itinerant Teacher for the Visually Impaired/Orientation & Mobility Instructor
Function: The person in this position is responsible for assessing, planning, developing, and implementing individualized educational programs (IEPs) for identified visually impaired students and supporting visually impaired students who require instruction in orientation and mobility techniques in both traditional and virtual school settings.
- Assess and evaluate qualified visually impaired students through formal and informal diagnosis and orientation and mobility competencies
- Participate in educational planning and eligibility meetings of students who are visuallyimpairedthroughIEPmeetingsor504teammeetings
- Determine individual instructional strategies for each student which may include training in instruction in Braille, assistive technology, the use of low vision aids, and orientation and mobility travel techniques
- Obtain/recommend/monitor equipment or specialized materials/accommodations necessary for individual students
- Work collaboratively with parents of the visually impaired students to develop community resources
- Attend all staff meetings and appropriate inservice opportunities
- Participate in professional organizations, conferences, and workshops
- Perform all other duties and responsibilities assigned by the Special Education Administrator
- Bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited institution
- Valid South Carolina teacher's certificate with certification in Visually Impaired
- AER Certification for Orientation and Mobility Instruction
- Minimum of three years’ experience in providing vision and orientation and mobility instruction to visually impaired students
Terms of Employment:
9 ½ months with salary determined by current South Carolina teaching certificate as it relates to the teacher's salary schedule as approved by the Board of Trustees of the School District of Greenville County.
Teachers will be expected to furnish such after-school time as is needed for assisting students, conferring with parents, and doing other necessary out-of-school work. Reports to the Special Education Administrator.
Greenville County Schools does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, color, disability, religion, or national origin in its dealings with employees, students, the general public, applicants for employment, educational programs, activities, or access to its facilities.